There are several ways to boost your acting career without an agent. Here are a few:
- Networking: Attend industry events and meet other actors, directors, and casting agents. Have your elevator pitch ready but focus on making sure the relationship is the foundation. The most important element of networking is doing your research and reading the room. Always be prepared to meet the plug to your biggest feature yet.
- Create an online presence: Build a website or use social media platforms to showcase your work and connect with potential collaborators. Some great suggestions are YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Take classes: Study with experienced acting coaches to improve your skills and gain new opportunities. Visually showcase skills your before and after by posting skits on social platforms.
- Self-submit: Research casting apps/calls and submit yourself for roles that you are a good fit for. Put your future into your own hands as agents may only support you in traditional acting roles. These days actors play the entire field of multi-channel brand marketing. Select a space you want to occupy and make your bid.
- Auditioning for community theaters and local plays can help build your resume and gain experience. You ever heard of start local but envision global? Building a local community support foundation can take you far, you never know who knows who.
- Create your own content: Write, produce, and star in your own short films or web series to showcase your range as an actor. Have some fun creating content that you’d watch yourself.
Remember that building a successful acting career takes time and smart work, but with persistence and dedication, you can achieve your goals.